Compensation Application

Compensation FAQ

Have You Been a Victim of Violent Crime?

Answer the Following Questions:

  • Did the crime occur in New Mexico?
  • Was the crime reported to a licensed medical provider, licensed mental health provider, tribal health provider, or law enforcement agency? (If law enforcement involved, did you cooperate?)
  • Did you have expenses as a result of the crime?
  • Did the crime occur within the last two years?

If you answered yes to ALL the above questions, then you may be eligible for compensation.

Complete the application form and return it to us within two (2) years of the date of incident. Some exceptions may be allowed for good cause.

Who Qualifies?

Victims who have suffered physical injury or extreme mental distress as a result of one or more of the following crimes:

  • Arson resulting in bodily injury;
  • Aggravated assault;
  • Aggravated battery;
  • Assault against a household member;
  • Battery against a houshold memeber;
  • Criminal sexual contact of a minor;
  • Criminal sexual penetration;
  • Murder;
  • Voluntary manslaughter;
  • Involuntary manslaughter;
  • Abandonment or abuse of a child;
  • Homicide by vehicle or great bodily injury by vehicle;
  • Stalking;
  • Kidnapping;
  • Aggravated indecent exposure;
  • Dangerous use of explosives resulting in bodily injury; or,
  • Negligent use of a deadly weapon;
  • Human Trafficking
  • Failure to give information and render aid

Who may apply?

  • Victims.
  • Family and dependents of deceased victims.
  • Any individual who voluntarily assumes funeral or medical expenses of the victim.

How does a person qualify?

  • The crime must have occurred in New Mexico.
  • The crime must be reported to a licensed medical provider, licensed mental health provider, tribal health provider or law enforcement agency.
  • A completed application must be filed within two (2) years of the incident. Some exceptions may be considered for good cause.
  • The victim or claimant must cooperate fully with the New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission.

How are awards determined?

In determining awards, all applications undergo a thorough review. The Crime Victims Reparation Commission takes into account collateral sources available to the victim, such as Medicare, Medicaid, health insurance, worker’s compensation, indigent funds, etc., and any contributory behavior on the part of the victim. The submission of an application does not guarantee payment.

What are the types of reparation?

Awards up to a maximum of $20,000.00 (or a maximum of $50,000.00 in cases of permanent physical disability) can be made for the following:

  • Medical and dental care;
  • Mental health counseling; (30 session maximum)
  • Funeral and burial expenses; ($6,000.00 maximum)
  • Loss of earnings as a result of the crime;
  • Eyeglasses; ($350.00 maximum)
  • Or other medically necessary devices.

No awards are made for property loss, pain and suffering, or attorney’s fees.

What happens after I send my application?

After receiving an application, it will be given a claim number. The application and related documentation received, including a complete offense report or provider incident verification form (which this office requests), will then be reviewed to determine if the victim and/or claimant are eligible for compensation.  This process involves verifying all the information presented in the application. A decision about whether the victim/claimant is eligible is usually made within 120 days. If the application is approved and expenses incurred as a result of the crime are eligible, payment will be made directly to providers or the victim/claimant. The victim/claimant is notified in writing of the decision to award or deny the claim.

If I don’t agree with the decision, what can I do?

If a decision is made that the victim/claimant disagrees with, an appeal may be filed with the agency Director.  The victim/claimant must notify the agency Director in writing of the reason for the appeal and provide additional information for reconsideration of the original decision.  If the original decision is upheld, the victim/claimant may request, in writing, a meeting with agency staff and an independent victim advocate.  If the victim/claimant does not agree with the outcome of this meeting, the final step would be to request an appearance in front of the agency Commission members. The decision from that meeting is final.

How do I apply?

Complete compensation application online HERE.

You may receive an application form by contacting our office:

Crime Victims Reparation Commission
6200 Uptown Blvd., Suite 210
Albuquerque, NM 87110
(505) 841-9432
1-800-306-6262 (toll-free)
Fax: (505) 841-9437

You may also obtain an application form and receive assistance from your local District Attorney’s Office or the other agencies listed below. Call them at the number listed below and ask for the Victim Advocate.

  • 1st Judicial District – Santa Fe
  • 2nd Judicial District – Albuquerque
  • 3rd Judicial District – Las Cruces
  • 4th Judicial District – Las Vegas
  • 5th Judicial District – Carlsbad
  • 6th Judicial District – Silver City
  • 7th Judicial District – Socorro
  • 8th Judicial District – Taos
  • 9th Judicial District – Clovis
  • 10th Judicial District – Tucumcari
  • 11th Judicial District
    • Div. I – Farmington
    • Div. II – Gallup
  • 12th Judicial District – Alamogordo
  • 13th Judicial District – Los Lunas
  • Las Cruces Police Department
  • Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
    1-800-522-6233 (Statewide)
    255-2955 (Albuquerque area)

Who is CVRC?

The New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission was formed in 1981 under the Crime Victims Reparation Act to assist victims of violent crime with expenses incurred as a result of their victimization.